Wednesday 7 May 2008

Lying

I never tell lies well that’s a bit of a strong statement actually and what I mean is that I don’t tell ‘Lies’. That small omission of information to get you out of a tight corner is acceptable in my universe. This doesn’t make me a liar. I worry about the label, I mean, everyone lies but that doesn’t make the majority of humanity evil. Most times I lie on the grounds of efficient living. I mean it takes time to explain things properly, so, instead, to make time for more urgent matters, I lie. Does this dress look good on me? Now, here’s the scenario. I’ve acquired an in depth knowledge of the spatial and architectural specifications of nearly all female changing rooms in the Bullring shopping centre. My advice up to this point has been balanced and empathetic, my girlfriend is trying out a new look which does not suit her. But female retail staff lie to her telling her, in gentle understanding tones, how lovely she looks. What can I say, you don’t look so good and that those bright neon stripes are not exactly flattering your profile. But then again, this could go on for hours. This type of lying, the damage limitation is acceptable and can be used in many contexts. The danger of course is that thinks can spin out of control. The dress will return to haunt me and I will have to hide my displeasure.



No comments: